+ Reply to Thread
    Kyle I. Alvarez

Tongue Scarborough Shoal - territorial problem of the Philippines and China

This is actually one of the most trending topic in Philippines national television.

The Scarborough shoal and its surrounding area are rich fishing grounds. A significant number of Chinese fishermen have been arrested by Philippine officials in this area, particularly during 1998-2001. Most arrests were for alleged using illegal methods of fishing and catching endangered and protected species.

The shoal which is only about 200 nautical miles, which obviously is within the Philippine's borders. Now China would claim this as their own, as according to them it was discovered first in the map of Yuan Dynasty. If the claims by the Chinese officials should be just, should we abandon our current governing international laws?

From the recent news I've heard, Chinese officials were using propaganda, informing their people that the Philippines would go at war with them. That residing in the Philippines is no longer safe, adjacent to this, is the current ban of Chinese tourist in the Philippines, thus the decline of tourism in the said country. Chinese government are trying to brain wash their people to hate the Filipinos. Which is awkward, there are a lot of Chinese people in the Philippines, the president is even Chinese decent though Filipino by heart but loves Korean. LOL. Point is, Filipinos are very friendly people and are known to be very polite and welcoming.

It's very frustrating why China would assume that Philippines would like to go at war with them, when in fact Philippines doesn't have the military capability. When in fact during the dispute with the two said countries. China was provoking and bullying the Philippines by sending 3 battle ships, aircrafts roaming around the poor stand alone Filipino 2nd hand ship over the shoal. When in fact, all that the Philippine navy does, is trying to maintain the safety of marine life within the shoal, as they had caught several fishermen, just days before the dispute, catching sharks in the shoal and destroying the shoal itself to be used for profit.

Sorry, if my opinions or thoughts might be a little biased, but I stand for the Philippines as I really believed they are fighting for a righteous cause. That from my research, they are the true ones who were trying to execute fair and just diplomatic relations as to this matter.

I would like to hear out some opinions and ideas coming out from you guys. Especially, if you are chinese or reside within Asia.

hmm if you could point us to some neutral article about this incident it would be great.

Some article over here.

Registered User Emeritus Evlmstr's Avatar

Not the first time that China has started shit like this...in fact they have a dispute over sea sovereignty with just about every East Asian country bordering an ocean.
    Gentleman, scholar, and fine judge of good whiskey

I do hate autocracy. China is playing deadly games with the entire world.

Corruption ends civilization and vice versa.

Michael Learns To Rock - Sleeping Child

And another article here. Being from the Philippines, I'm trying my best to find neutral articles, heh.

I am disappointed with ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations), for not taking a stand regarding the issue. It won't be long before China would claim the whole South China Sea. (That sea should really change its name.) ><

freshie coming through resident_evil_fan's Avatar

eh, not really anything different from what we do in the states.
    They once called me REF...
    Quote Originally Posted by HBIC- View Post
    omg. just get in me already.

It'd be nice if you'd attached any news sources in your OP. As it is, any reader going through it would be more than hard pressed to evaluate what exactly is being said by the relevant actors on its own merits. The lack of foresight notwithstanding, China's a rising world power and as such seeks to press what it thinks are its claims with respects to territory in its vicinity. Now I doubt the government in Beijing actually believes the Philippines is actually contemplating war. And I'm having an even harder time buying that China would think its citizens so naive as to think such an action possible. But again, that's hard to know since you didn't post any non anecdotal and/or attributable sources.

The basic premise is true enough. China has been pressing claims in the South China Seas and others areas of the South Pacific. About what you'd expect for a state with China's economic and security concerns. Ultimately however, how successful they are will depend on several factors, most of which are outside my field of study at least in specifics. One thing which will play a large part though will obviously be how China's neighbors decide to react and what tack they eventually plan on taking. Of course the US will also be involved. SoD Panetta's recent statement that we'd be transitioning naval deployment levels from its current position of 50/50 Pacific/Atlantic, to a 60/40 force structure wasn't for nothing.

And FYI, 200 nm isn't within the territorial waters of any state. You might be thinking of the EEZ.

Lt. Col. Pax, Delta Nui, Mike5055, GabreXL, Assef
    TS Stupidity Secret Police ([TS]SSP)

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

"And here I prophesy: this brawl today, grown to this faction in the Temple garden,
    Shall send, between the Red Rose and the White, A thousand souls to death and deadly night."
    Warwick, Henry VI, Part One

Registered User Freakyfreakchick's Avatar

Off topic, but I totally though this thread was about Joe Scarborough when I read the title lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by XsrdX22 View Post
    Nell's the baddest bitch on TS

I'm a sexy piece of meat and a freak in bed.