+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User Emeritus Evlmstr's Avatar

Default Romney VP speculation

So now that Romney has the nomination locked up in all but name, I thought I might speculate on the big question.

I'm putting my money on Marco Rubio because Romney badly needs both the Hispanic and Florida vote (although I doubt Rubio will help much with the former). Plus the Tea party seems to like the guy, so choosing him would beef up support from the base.
    Gentleman, scholar, and fine judge of good whiskey

Registered User zachharrison2010's Avatar

Huckabee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candiid View Post
    You, me and your boyfriend.
    He can give me anal and you can just watch.

EDIT:I just saw your pictures.
    NVM.

ahahahaha

Mr. Romney is a political heavyweight who used to be a successful CEO. I think he's a match for Mr. Obama. There could be the war of caustic words between them. Who will become the next US president controlling Americans' destiny? Hmm..I might be staring into my crystal ball again.

Corruption ends civilization and vice versa.

Michael Learns To Rock - Sleeping Child

Well just for the record, Obama will mostly likely win imo

Huckabee is actually a choice I've heard suggested by perfectly intelligent people without a hint of irony. He is saner and more competent than most of the Tea Party wing (stop and let that sink in for a moment), and would serve to shore up Romney's support from the Christian right and the white working class, two areas where he is critically weak. He would be an issue where moderates are concerned, but would serve to beef up Romney's right flank while he plays for the center, which would be especially important if, say, Ron Paul makes an independent run. I'm inclined to think that the current political climate favors Rubio or Paul Ryan over Huckabee as right wing VPs (if they're willing, that is), but it's not a completely unreasonable idea, especially since both of them present problems of their own.
    Life really does get better, whether you're bullied or not

"Through the haze that is my memory
    You stayed for drama though you paid for a comedy

I know I can be colorful
    I know I can be gray
    But I know this loser's very fortunate
    Cause I know, you will love me either way" -"Colorful", The Verve Pipe

I honestly doubt that Huckabee would be willing to run on Romney's ticket, but there is very little I disagree with Huckabee on, probably less than any other politician in recent memory. Huckabee is excellent at winning support with a group when he focuses his attention solely on it, and is so much better than Biden as far as appearances go that he would nearly make Biden look as laughable as Palin made herself. Barring a crazy, out-of-the-blue VP pick by Romney who would prefer to abort babies and take away my guns and make me fear for my safety in both my home and my country, I will be voting Romney regardless, but Huckabee would be my preferred VP.

NVM.

Whoever he chooses doesn't phase me... Doesn't have my vote.

Ron Paul or no one 2012.
    RIP Peter Steele
    January 4, 1962 April 14, 2010.
    I'll always love you.

Ron Paul 2012.
    A rEVOLution has begun.

I can't understand how anyone could possibly think that Ron Paul would even be able to lead America for four years with running it into the ground? I can understand how people can vote for liberals, I just think they are terribly misguided and have the wrong values. But Ron Paul? God, I shudder to think of where America would be by the time we got him out of office

NVM.

Quote Originally Posted by zachharrison2010 View Post
    I can't understand how anyone could possibly think that Ron Paul would even be able to lead America for four years with running it into the ground? I can understand how people can vote for liberals, I just think they are terribly misguided and have the wrong values. But Ron Paul? God, I shudder to think of where America would be by the time we got him out of office
    What's so bad about him?
    Your heart is a muscle the size of your fist.
    Keep on loving, keep on fighting, and hold on for your life.
    http://ultimate-steve.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by XsrdX22 View Post
    What's so bad about him?
    For one, he would yank troops out of Iraq/Afghanistan immediately, which would likely piss away all the progress that thousands of men died for.

NVM.

I can't understand how anyone could possibly think that Ron Paul would even be able to lead America for four years with running it into the ground?
    Lack of support in Congress. What so many Paul fanatics forget is that he's a big fan of the Constitution, and according to said Constitution the President has very little power to make or change laws by himself. So even if by some miracle he snuck his way into office, he'd find himself facing a fairly united front of opposition from Congress and the Supreme Court with regard to most of his more unique political ideas, and would thus probably go down in history as the least-accomplished President we've ever had who didn't die in office.

I know I can be colorful
    I know I can be gray

For one, he would yank troops out of Iraq/Afghanistan immediately, which would likely piss away all the progress that thousands of men died for.
    We've made as much progress already as we possibly could. Having our troops occupy other countries is asking for another 9/11. There's really not much more that we could do for the middle east, if that's what you're talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Quick View Post
    Lack of support in Congress. What so many Paul fanatics forget is that he's a big fan of the Constitution, and according to said Constitution the President has very little power to make or change laws by himself. So even if by some miracle he snuck his way into office, he'd find himself facing a fairly united front of opposition from Congress and the Supreme Court with regard to most of his more unique political ideas, and would thus probably go down in history as the least-accomplished President we've ever had who didn't die in office.
    There are plenty of men and women in the congress who support Ron Paul, and would likely support the things he'd try to do as president.
    I think he's the best candidate to vote for, especially for the people who are looking for someone to beat Obama. He is more trustworthy than Obama or Romney, I highly suspect that Romney is already bought out.
    It's hard for me to picture Romney being president. With his hating on the gays, all of his flip flopping, and his lack of intelligence, I'm almost positive he'd run this country into the ground than Paul would.

I have actually come to agree with many of Ron Paul's ideas, but I have to side with Quick on this one.

Huckabee is actually a choice I've heard suggested by perfectly intelligent people without a hint of irony. He is saner and more competent than most of the Tea Party wing (stop and let that sink in for a moment),
    That's not true...that's impossible

The solution isn't to order more American soldiers to their deaths. Besides, we have largely accomplished the main goal of decimating al-Qaeda. Bin Laden and many of his lieutenants are dead. Al-Qaeda is a mere shadow of what it was a decade ago. We've done all that and more, and now it is time to go. The cost in lives and treasure has been steep, so it makes zero sense to keep trying to build a great civilization from scratch in the asshole of the world.

There are plenty of men and women in the congress who support Ron Paul, and would likely support the things he'd try to do as president.
    Some of them, sure. I'm sure the Tea Party wing of the GOP would love to help him gut our social safety net, for instance; with the right plan he might even get enough support from the Republican mainstream to overcome the assuredly fanatical Democratic opposition to such a move. However, the ideas that have made him famous (withdrawing troops from all foreign bases, eliminating federal drug laws, eliminating the Fed, etc.) are mainly things that the Congressional mainstream is dead set against.

I think he's the best candidate to vote for, especially for the people who are looking for someone to beat Obama. He is more trustworthy than Obama or Romney, I highly suspect that Romney is already bought out.
    I agree that he's the best candidate out of this year's Republican field save Huntsman (though polling data suggests that Romney is more electable). That said, that's not so much a hearty endorsement as an expression of unmitigated disgust with all the other candidates.

I know I can be colorful
    I know I can be gray

Registered User Freakyfreakchick's Avatar

I think we're forgetting that Obama can pick a new VP. I think that may be a real possibility.
    Nell's the baddest bitch on TS

I'm a sexy piece of meat and a freak in bed.

Seeing that Biden has apparently been given a big role in the campaign...I doubt it.

Yawn. Care to give any specific reasons other than spewing garbage like every jackass who shrugs off Ron Paul because it's easy?

How exactly does this piss away progress? Also, he probably wouldn't do it immediately. He says he would because it gets the anti-war people cheering, but there's no way he would or could do it in an instant.

I agree that he's the best candidate out of this year's Republican field save Huntsman (though polling data suggests that Romney is more electable). That said, that's not so much a hearty endorsement as an expression of unmitigated disgust with all the other candidates.
    Tell me a bit about Huntsman, if you can. Never really looked into him, and I don't really trust Google for accurate information on the guy.

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Evlmstr View Post
    Well just for the record, Obama will mostly likely win imo
    Not if you have any idea about the direction of the country. Obama will lose badly in November.