+ Reply to Thread

Default Want to move to Canada

I'm from California and have always been fascinated by Canada so once I graduate I will be moving to Canada to live. I was probably going to move to Toronto or Ottowa. I'm looking for people to chat with and opinions of the place.

You are literally making one of the best decisions of your life dude
    █ ████████ ██████ ██████████ ██ ████ ██ ████ ██████████ ██. ███ ███ This comment has been found in violation of H.R. 3911, S.O.P.A and has been removed.

Quote Originally Posted by NiniLuvzs View Post
    I'm from California and have always been fascinated by Canada so once I graduate I will be moving to Canada to live. I was probably going to move to Toronto or Ottowa. I'm looking for people to chat with and opinions of the place.
    British Columbia is where its attt.
    Especially if you enjoyed California's weather.
    They call where I'm from the "California of Canada"
    "When the power of L O V E
    overcomes the love of power,
    the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

rate.pinterest.music

You underestimate me. ticketxtoxride's Avatar

It depends what you want when you go there - here, whatever. I'll warn you and say that Toronto and Ottawa get MUCH colder in winter than you'd be used to in California - I get down to about -40˚ (same in C and F) in Sudbury, though Toronto's more Southern so I think their coldest some days might be -30˚ (-22˚ F). I have no guarantee on that though, but generally, it does get colder up here. I think Ontario has a lot to offer though, so if you do choose Toronto or Ottawa, you're not missing out. Meanwhile, I did grow up in BC and they have a lot to offer as well - and their winters are far more mild (though still colder than California, they will not be quite as cold as in Ontario). If you want a big city like Toronto or Ottawa, Vancouver would be a good choice - and Vancouver is also on the ocean, something that most of the other big cities in Canada lack.
    This Padawan of the V'tosh Ka'tur is a Twitter addict.

Welcome to Canada, we have (what used to be) 6 months of snow (0C to -35C), 6 months of sunshine(0C to 35C), maple syrup, bacon, drugs, friendly people, the french and other cool stuff.

I live in Quebec, more specifically, near Montreal. Montreal is one of the biggest, most multicultural cities you'll find in the country, an island in the middle of the saint-Lawrence river with a history. I lived there during my childhood and still go frequently. I love going downtown, there's always something going on, it's a great place to meet up with some friends, shop and eat. Our housing is cheaper than the west coast's, and our education is pretty damn cheap.

The biggest problem for you would probably be the french culture. Canada's history begins with a french colony, and all of that stayed in Quebec. You can manage to live by only speaking in English, but life will be easier if you pick up a course and learn French. The west side of the island majors in English, while the has a majority of French. The middle has a vast mix of foreign languages, English and French.

I'd suggest taking a summer vacation to Montreal, stick around for a month or so and see if you like it. It'll be lonely, but the Greater Montreal Area's population is like 4 million. You're bound to meet people.
    Last edited by DJSuperNova; 04-11-2012 at 11:47 PM.

You underestimate me. ticketxtoxride's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DJSuperNova View Post
    Welcome to Canada, we have (what used to be) 6 months of snow (0C to -35C), 6 months of sunshine(0C to 35C), maple syrup, bacon, drugs, friendly people, the french and other cool stuff.
    Haha unless you're from Northern Ontario, in which it's eight months of snow (down to -40˚ C or so), three months of humidity (up to 45˚ C or so), and two weeks between each of sunny but mild springtime weather. But with plenty of maple syrup and bacon to make it bearable. =P
    This Padawan of the V'tosh Ka'tur is a Twitter addict.

Well, eastern Canadian weather sucks
    Here in BC (Lower Mainland/Vancouver area), we had about two-three days of snow this winter.

My advice is to stay around the west coast of Canada. Friendly people and fairly good weather. I live in the prairies at the moment, not the best idea to stick around Winnipeg.

Ottawa, ON has been named the top city to live in Canada for the past three years and for the 2012 list Toronto ranked in at 47.

Quote Originally Posted by Poliamuse View Post
    Ottawa, ON has been named the top city to live in Canada for the past three years and for the 2012 list Toronto ranked in at 47.
    Ottawanian propaganda
    █ ████████ ██████ ██████████ ██ ████ ██ ████ ██████████ ██. ███ ███ This comment has been found in violation of H.R. 3911, S.O.P.A and has been removed.

I don't know if you're still looking where to live, but if you are message me!! Vancouver is where you wanna be, lots of rain but winter jackets are not necessary. If you still want to live in the desert, you could move to kelowna or anywhere in the okanogan, just beware it is freezing there in winter. But it's super expensive you but it's such a wonderful place with so much to do, definitely Western Canada's best, if not possible the world. But message me if your considering this still, I know great places to live for much cheaper and with great transit to downtown Vancouver.

I so agree... BC is the way to go!!

Try Vancouver first