+ Reply to Thread
    Banned User

Drooling so.......can anyone tell me wtf is up with my car?

i was driving it, and i turned it off to park, and suddenly the key gets stuck in the ignition and wont turn on. NO the steering wheel wasn't locked. the car wouldn't start up, and the key wouldn't come out. after a while of leaving it off while i shopped, it turned back on with no problems. wtf? engine light wasn't on, battery seemed to be working because the lights and radio and everything was working, gas was filled, so what is that? should i get it checked out ASAP, or is this one of those things where i can put it off for a while?

nissan sentra 2003, btw.

hmm so you couldnt physically move key?
    might be problem with a lock mechanism.

Banned User

i could move it, i just couldn't pull it OUT. itd turn and stuff, which is why i said the car wouldn't start.. i could turn the key and turn the battery on so i could play the radio or pull the windows down, but the engine wouldn't start.

Quote Originally Posted by jboob View Post
    i could move it, i just couldn't pull it OUT. itd turn and stuff, which is why i said the car wouldn't start.. i could turn the key and turn the battery on so i could play the radio or pull the windows down, but the engine wouldn't start.
    As in, the engine won't MECHANICALLY start, or the KEY won't turn to start the car? And then it doesn't let you pull the key out?
    "I've always felt that Chevrolet made
    Camaro rear ends especially awesome,
    so that Mustangs will always have something
    nice to look at"

If you're looking for some fun...

Banned User

it wouldn't mechanically start. i could turn the key to the area where its supposed to start, but it woulnt go VRRROOOOM. it just stayed quiet like the battery was dead, but it wasn't dead. i know this because everything was working normally and the car rove normally without me charging it, so im sure the battery was fine.

then when i try to turn it off and pull the key out, it wont come out. it stays stuck in the ignition, but im able to move it back and forth while its still in there. i just cant pull it out.

That could very well be your ignition assembly (The assembly that your key's in). That's very odd though. I was about to say the starter, since that's what it sounded like, but a starter problem would give you your key back lmao.
    nice to look at"

Something like that happened to me one day while I was driving.
    I was going down the turnpike in the middle of the 5 o'clock rush, the car died, I kept turning the key and it wouldn't start. Made a huge line of pissed off backed up traffic. Had to push my car off the road after about 5 minutes of trying.
    Turned out the timing belt was broken, and the started was going too. Check those.
    But the part where the key won't come out... As camaro said, check out the whole entire locking assembly. You might have to get it replaced. I had to get a new one for my Jeep a few months back and it wasn't that expensive.
    Your heart is a muscle the size of your fist.
    Keep on loving, keep on fighting, and hold on for your life.
    http://ultimate-steve.tumblr.com/

something similar happened to me, i pulled key out but contact was still there like the key never left xD

Banned User

i took it to the dealership. they said something about a fuel pump, idk. all i know is that it cost 800 something dollars. fml

Quote Originally Posted by jboob View Post
    i took it to the dealership. they said something about a fuel pump, idk. all i know is that it cost 800 something dollars. fml
    Hold on.
    Have someone sit in your car. Open the gas cap, and stick your ear there. Have the person in your car turn the car to run (Not start... run) You should hear a buzzing noise, some will be louder then others. If you have the buzzing sound, that means your fuel pump is priming, and you have a working fuel pump. I would make absolutely sure; dealerships are crooks, and fuel pumps are one of the most costly fixes you can get, as you have to pull the gas tank (And occasionally, the axle...) to get to it... VERY pricy.

But I have never heard of a fuel pump issue to cause the assembly to not give your key back... The car just won't start.
    nice to look at"

Banned User

wtf...are you serious? i paid them already and they fixed it, so i cant do that.

Had a 2009 Chevy Cobalt LT come into work Wednesday that a tumbler got dislodged in and wouldn't allow the key to turn back, had to install a new ignition switch and have the pats reprogrammed for the new key.

^^I was just going to say the tumbler...

Is the issue fixed now?
    There's NO way a fuel pump would not give your key back...
    nice to look at"

Registered User VA_Southern-Guy's Avatar

what type of car is this? I've heard of some cars being equipped with some ridiculous security features that will do this. And needs time to reset before it will release your key. Just a thought, but there is no why it was a fuel pump problem, they just made a mess load of money.
    ~MATT~

sounds like it could be a ground issue somewhere. even if it was your fuel pump your engine will still turn over just wont start from lack of fuel,

Yeah it's probably your ignitions mate.

Did you drop your keys in dirt or something before you but them in? there might have been a tiny rock in the ignition or something, stopping the key from properly hitting the place it should have.
    If not, then you might have a loose wire or something, or a problem with the ignition mechanism.

Hope I helped.

It's a problem with the lock cylinder being dirty and sticking...9 times out of ten if you take some pblaster or dw40 and spray it into the lock cylinder and turn the lock and pull the key in and out it will start to get the junk out of it you should repeat the process several times to get it nice And clean... I actually learned this from a locksmith
    And the part is called an ignition lock cylinder just FYI to everyone

5 month old post, let it RIP
    Its always an opinion

Jesus.. Its your lock cylinder.. Sounds like you accidentally stripped the teeth out of the plastic gears.
    Start with the easiest solution first..