+ Reply to Thread

Default Applying for college with a G.E.D.

Hey guys. I dropped out of high school in my junior year due to health reasons, and I got my G.E.D. back in August with pretty good scores.
    How do I go about applying to a college? Most of my friends apply to college through/with the help of a high school counselor. Since I dropped out in Junior year (Health reasons), that's not an option for me.
    Is this close to how it goes? Take SATs, fill out college application, hope for a good letter back from them? Or are there more steps involved?
    And what are the ACTs, and how are they different from the SATs?
    Sorry for all the questions, never really looked into college until last fall.
    Your heart is a muscle the size of your fist.
    Keep on loving, keep on fighting, and hold on for your life.
    http://ultimate-steve.tumblr.com/

I also dropped out of high school (in the fall semester of my senior year) because of health problems. My process was a little different because I initially went to a community college (who will accept anyone with a high school diploma) to earn my Associate's Degree before transferring to a university.

The ACTs is just another standardized test that measures high school achievement. As far as I know, most universities will accept either SAT or ACT scores with applications but some schools put more of an emphasis on one test over the other (for whatever reason schools in the Midwest seem to prefer the ACT while schools on the coasts seem to prefer the SAT). I live in Illinois and I actually never took the SAT.

It is going to vary from school to school but the process will probably be similar to what you assume.

Even though you don't have a high school counselor to guide you there are lots of people you can talk to. Most college admissions counselors will answer almost any question. If you find a school that you are attracted to, you can email or call the admissions department and they will be able to answer lots of questions regarding their requirements for application when you don't have a high school GPA for them to judge. They can tell you what you need to do to be a strong candidate.

Something that I learned is that smaller universities are more likely to be swayed by strong personal statement/application essay than big state schools.

I hope my answer was somewhat helpful. Good luck

Thanks, your answer helps a ton! There are a few schools in North Carolina I'm looking at, so I'll definitely have to check which test they prefer.
    Your heart is a muscle the size of your fist.
    Keep on loving, keep on fighting, and hold on for your life.
    http://ultimate-steve.tumblr.com/

I'm glad my answer was helpful. I hope the whole process goes well for you.

pok3rchamp

the SAT or ACT is what you need if you're applying to a university. since you dropped out and got a g.e.d afterwards, your best bet would be to go to a community college and then transfer to a university. the SAT or ACT would be difficult to pass if you dropped out junior year.

but, if you did really well in high school and are a very smart individual, you should attempt either the SAT or ACT and see how you do. there is a specific score you need in order to get accepted into a university. try it!

Default Re:

Here are the United States' oldest colleges

oldest college in America

If you have any particular college in mind that you’d like to apply to, you can speak to their admissions consultant/counselor about the enrollment process. You can also go to their website and request information for details on their admission procedure. Not all colleges require an SAT or ACT score, so you may want to look for such schools in case you want to skip these tests for now.