+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45

Thread: The Bible

  1. #21
    srsbsns
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Just a thought: no need to paint all Christians with the same brush as their most extreme elements(the westboro baptists). Believe me, it's quite possible to argue against Catholicism and most forms of Christianity based on their own stated beliefs, and it gets more done.

  2. #22
    Something hovla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Other - Europe
    Posts
    7,621

    Default

    lot of people especially from USA fail to realize that christianity =/= westboro baptists
    Most wont tell you that straight out but by the way they form their arguments you can see it. Its getting quite annoying.

  3. #23
    BOOM Headshot styleandclass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,473

    Default

    I WORSHIP THE DEVIL AGAIN.
    "The only thing you need to be good at in life, is cheating" - Banksy
    Rate me?

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2

    Default

    If you are a Christian than:
    a. Didn't God intend to have men love women, and for women to love men back? I think that means that God wouldn't appreciate gay actions. Although, if you don't believe what the Bible says, then it is quite understandable that the fact that he wanted this means nothing to you.
    and
    b. How can you have faith in God to be your Lord and Savior (if you are a Christian) if you don't believe in His Holy Word?
    Food for thought.
    Now:
    1. The Bible was written by men, BUT it was inspired by God. 2 Tim. 3:16-17 (thinking about it now though, I guess since you don't believe in the Bible, you don't care about the reference. oh well.)
    2. People can have different opinions about one situation and that situation does not have to contradict itself just because of its different perspectives. You say that the fact that many different men wrote the Bible is a reason why it contradicts itself. But you have to ask yourself: Do you honestly believe that a book with 66 different books within it, written by 40 different authors from all walks of life, over at least 1,600 years, in 3 different languages, on 3 different continents, and that tells the same story of God's plan of redemption and salvation for our lives, is a coincidence? I find that very hard to believe. Opinions are a good thing.
    3. The Bible shows how man and woman are to have different roles in the household and that overall, the woman should submit to her husband. Many of the things stated in the Bible such as not to cut your hair or getting a tattoo are very cultural references that pertained to that day and age. For example, in Elizabethen England a woman was to put her hair up in a hood once she was married as a sign of being off limits. That does not mean that people today still do that just because it used to be a rule.

    "Scepticism is the beginning of faith."
    ~ Oscar Wilde.
    Feel free to contact me on my page.

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    160

    Default

    you do realize that many rules of the bible, especially OT where not a moral or religious rule, but a means of keeping cleanliness and health at that time. The bible says not to eat pork because compared to many other meat choices of the time it was very unhealthy, so were many of the animals listed as taboo because of very high fat content. Tattoos were forbidden because of a high chance of infection. Its easy to get infected today getting one, you think they were cleaner when they used a sharp stick dipped in ink to chisel a picture into your arm? Those rules were meant to inform and guide them on how to remain healthy and not die at a time where the average life expectancy was about 25-30. Also, the rules on wives being subserviant and men having as many as they wished were about prolonging and growing the jewish race at the time. During the OT they were few and far between compared to the surrounding pagan peoples, so wives were taught to be obedient to their husband to prevent her running off and sleeping with another man and tearing families apart. Also, men were allowed, if not encouraged, to bed as many women as possible to populate their race. By NT, the jewish race was well off, so many of these practices were debunked. Perhaps do a bit more research than googling bible verses before you say the writers of the bible were whack jobs. Also, you will find next to no christians accept islam as a christian faith. The christian faith, even in its many sects, have one abiding belief, that jesus christ was the son of god, hence the term CHRISTian. The islamic faith, while acknowledging jesus as having lived, see him as nothing more than a prophet foretelling the arrival of mohammad, who is their equivalent to jesus. Just acknowledging jesus as having lived doesnt qualify you as christian.

  6. #26
    Registered User vickyjluzuz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    37

    Default

    i dont believe in god

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5

    Default

    God have a plan for every thing trust God

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5

    Default

    that nothing but the Devil God still love you trust God

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5

    Default

    yes man did write the bible but God still lead there hands

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5

    Default

    yeah god said everybody wouldn't get slave but once you get to know him he will love you and you love him

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    16

    Default

    That is so true. Glad to have someone who thinks the same

  12. #32
    Registered User idek143's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    429

    Default

    ok one bible full of rape insest murder torture genocide just a whole lot of wrong stuff a lot caused by god if the bible is really written from god i want nothing to do with him and for Christians damn rite the bible is contradictory or i guess maybe more hypocritical you cant follow some laws of leviticus with such a burnin passion and hatred of gays btw then not follow others cause they r old fashioned like the mixed cloth and other shit like tht the only religion i would allow to say god is against homosexuality are the hardcore jews tht follow every law written in the bible they at least are consistent and i do agree some stories are just tht stories but thts how all the earliest religions started like greek gods...as just a way to explain things i see religion as more mythology than anything else

  13. #33
    Something hovla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Other - Europe
    Posts
    7,621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by idek143 View Post
    ok one bible full of rape insest murder torture genocide just a whole lot of wrong stuff a lot caused by god if the bible is really written from god i want nothing to do with him and for Christians damn rite the bible is contradictory or i guess maybe more hypocritical you cant follow some laws of leviticus with such a burnin passion and hatred of gays btw then not follow others cause they r old fashioned like the mixed cloth and other shit like tht the only religion i would allow to say god is against homosexuality are the hardcore jews tht follow every law written in the bible they at least are consistent and i do agree some stories are just tht stories but thts how all the earliest religions started like greek gods...as just a way to explain things i see religion as more mythology than anything else
    Christianity is too large umbrella term for such vague attacks. Not all Christian denominations hold to old testament as something relevant, more as 'history' book. Most of them don't have burning hatred toward gays. Only ones i ever heard about that hold Leviticus as go card to hate gays are Westboro baptist church. So if you want to attack them then say so, don't generalize all of Christianity.

  14. #34
    Registered User idek143's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    429

    Default

    fine catholics do i know tht for damn sure my "attack" is mostly for Catholicism better?

  15. #35
    Something hovla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Other - Europe
    Posts
    7,621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by idek143 View Post
    fine catholics do i know tht for damn sure my "attack" is mostly for Catholicism better?
    Catholics don't hold old testament as relevant book of laws. Leviticus is part of old testament, so ignoring laws of Leviticus is not hypocritical for Catholics as you tried to say. Catholics also mostly dont have ''burning hatred'' toward gays. If some do its their personal stance not that of Catholic Church.

    Wanna try again?

  16. #36
    Registered User idek143's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    429

    Default

    they use things from the old testiment to try and say this is why this and tht and i got bitched out by a priest tht ive known since i was 7 my catholic skool hated my sexual orientation tellin me if i hav sex im goin to burn in hell everytime i hear anti gay statements its comin from some catholic thanks to the part in the bible about a man should not lay with another man its an abomination plus personally i think catholics need to just get rid of a vast majority of the old testiment anyway

  17. #37
    Something hovla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Other - Europe
    Posts
    7,621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by idek143 View Post
    they use things from the old testiment to try and say this is why this and tht and i got bitched out by a priest tht ive known since i was 7 my catholic skool hated my sexual orientation tellin me if i hav sex im goin to burn in hell everytime i hear anti gay statements its comin from some catholic thanks to the part in the bible about a man should not lay with another man its an abomination plus personally i think catholics need to just get rid of a vast majority of the old testiment anyway
    dude Catholics dont use old testament, not in a way you imply they use it. Its more like history reference kind of books, not books about how we should live our lives or follow laws from old testament books. Jesus himself preached against lot of laws from old testament. Why do you think Jews disliked his preachings?

    If priest told you that you are going to burn in hell thats one shitty priest. I knew couple of priests and they are all cool dudes.

    Just as an example, where I come from its somewhat default by general population to dislike gays. Our nun that taught us theology during elementary school always taught us that hate is wrong and sin. She took us to visit mosques, Jewish temples, Orthodox churches , even thought that theology class was mainly about Catholicism. Only preaching from priests and nuns I heard were about tolerance and loving one another.
    I'm sorry that you had bad experience with Catholics, but there are bad people in any group of people, but there are far more good honest people.

  18. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1

    Default

    almost all of what you said is in accordance to a Jew. not a Christian, the new law or the new covenant is established in the new testement and many of those things are only in accordance to the old testament.

    as for your points..
    1. yes scripture is written by man, though it says it is "God breathed" and through the text you have to look at the meaning behind it, not so much the words..



    2. for example of this question, in Hebrews 6:6 it says "if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace." this is probably a pretty contradictory thought at first glance as it is saying if you sin once you accept Jesus as a savior he died for nothing. Though if you take into accordance the onlyyyyy unforgivable sin - blaspheme of the spirit, which is to say: there is no God. and then believe again that is what it goes through, and i believe some people "say" one thing, and their hearts are completely deceived and they fall away again, in reference to the types of soil.. sown on the good ground vs rocky or thorns.

    3. this is once again old testament as i described earlier. this has soooo much more to do with the history of why this was established.. no tattoo's were to be on men of God in order to separate them from the others, because they would get marks or tattoo's. as for the hair thing, i have not read much on that at all.. and accordance to theives and slanderers; what did Jesus die for.

  19. #39
    Anti-Nikias Pro-dio dio1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    6,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by parrtyharrd View Post
    Oh I'm going to regret this......

    Okay, so I am a gay christian dude. And I do not believe that the bible was written from God to man for these reasons:

    1. I believe that the bible was written by men. Therefore they could have put whatever they wanted in there. I mean I could write a book today saying why God hates it when people go skipping down the street. All I'd have to do is give a few good reasons and I'd have a million followers.

    2. The bible IS indeed contradictory. But not because it just is but because so many different men wrote it, it has so many different opinions. If God is really the mastermind behind this, wouldn't he prevent that from happening?

    3. The Bible states that women are beneath men. The Bible states not to cut your hair, or get a tattoo. The Bible states that a thieves and slanderers must be killed. I just don't think that if God really wanted things to be like that, then that God isn't worth putting faith into.Tell me what you guys think!

    **The Bible is a great book but it isn't the only book. --Henry Drummond
    I just dont think you have put much thought into what you have posted here in this thread. If God is so big and powerful He can influence people and give them words to write in a book used to help lead others to Gods own teachings. And where does it state that women are beneath men?

    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/According_...n_equal_to_men

    Read what is in the link above and it explains alot. And the tattoo thing only applies to " if it is in remembrance of the dead" I can get a tattoo of a dot, a star, a monkey, a guitar, chains, nails, spider webs, music symbols anything as long as it is not a tattoo that says something like "Long live 2-Pac" or "Michael Jackson" or the popular "MOM" tattoo. Back then in bible times they would stone people for just about any crime, that is just how crime was handled WAY BACK WHEN, not that way now. How can you truely call yourself a Christian when you are not 100% sure that your God is worth putting your faith into?
    http://www.teenspot.com/boards/showthread.html?t=607517 <Rate Me

    http://www.teenspot.com/boards/showt...3#post16151173 <Rate My Room

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    If you break down the word diet the first syllable is Di. Do you want to DIE?

  20. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by parrtyharrd View Post
    Oh I'm going to regret this......

    Okay, so I am a gay christian dude. And I do not believe that the bible was written from God to man for these reasons:

    1. I believe that the bible was written by men. Therefore they could have put whatever they wanted in there. I mean I could write a book today saying why God hates it when people go skipping down the street. All I'd have to do is give a few good reasons and I'd have a million followers.

    2. The bible IS indeed contradictory. But not because it just is but because so many different men wrote it, it has so many different opinions. If God is really the mastermind behind this, wouldn't he prevent that from happening?

    3. The Bible states that women are beneath men. The Bible states not to cut your hair, or get a tattoo. The Bible states that a thieves and slanderers must be killed. I just don't think that if God really wanted things to be like that, then that God isn't worth putting faith into.

    Tell me what you guys think!

    **The Bible is a great book but it isn't the only book. --Henry Drummond
    Hey, I was just wondering where you believe the Bible contradicts itself.? I have yet to find a place.
    Asside from Solomon, I see no place where the Bible tells people not to cut thier hair. Would you point out the scriptures please? I am not trying to be disrespectfull, just curious. As for getting tatoos, I know that the Scripture tells people not to damage his own body for we are the temple of the Holy Ghost. If you had your own temple would you want spray painted images on your walls?
    It is true about the thieves and such being killed. Honestly though. Think about if we had a strict set of rules in your county and inforced them with threatening lives. People would be more hesitant to do things. Crime rates would go down, and morality would rise. I believe that Christ wants moral, upright people to be His ambassodors.
    Sorry if I went on a bit too long.
    Have a great day!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
monitoring_string = "4602c2f6f50d14a8ded4584efe3ed885"