+ Reply to Thread

Default what it means to be alive ?

i feel tht humans value themselves over anyother living thing. and yes some other living things cant feel pain like we can but... well for example when i was little my mom had a tree cut down in front of our house and i cried for two weeks straight tht tree was alive and growing and breathing and giving us life in the form of oxygen. but tht didnt matter to her and i never understood why. that tree gave home for an owl i called him mr owly and i loved tht owl and tht trees branches held nest of may birds yet when i tried to explain this to her she didnt care. she'd take a 1000 lives to save her own just because she thought was more important than them ? i still think about tht tree and the life it gave and lived.
    another ex. if there was a burning building and a dog and a child were trapped id save which ever one was closer
    what are your thoughts

well first off, im willing to bet many if not all of the birds in the tree would have been scared off long before the tree went down. Second of all relatively no indication has been made in several studies that plants have cognative thought, im not talking a smart self aware brain like humans, im talking like a functioning organ like all animals. But going along with your premise that a tree is alive and deserves not to be cut down, should we hold a candlelight vigil for every blade of grass trimmed during the summer? or should we trim it like always, so it doesnt grow tall, which then can become a haven for diseas filled rodents, spiders and poisonous snakes. Until some scientist actually proves plants to be more than an organic chain of chemical reactions, i say if its ni your way and you want it gone, cut the damn tree down.

Take It Or Leave It northerN__Lights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by taigenboo View Post
    i feel tht humans value themselves over anyother living thing. and yes some other living things cant feel pain like we can but... well for example when i was little my mom had a tree cut down in front of our house and i cried for two weeks straight tht tree was alive and growing and breathing and giving us life in the form of oxygen. but tht didnt matter to her and i never understood why. that tree gave home for an owl i called him mr owly and i loved tht owl and tht trees branches held nest of may birds yet when i tried to explain this to her she didnt care. she'd take a 1000 lives to save her own just because she thought was more important than them ? i still think about tht tree and the life it gave and lived.
    another ex. if there was a burning building and a dog and a child were trapped id save which ever one was closer
    what are your thoughts
    Are you religious? I'm not trying to insult, or even start a discussion about religion, just that your thoughts on the subject remind me of some religion (not sure which one it is though) and I was wondering if you were associated with it.
    I agree with you that humans do act superior to everything else. And I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, who is to say that we deserve to have this attitude. But on the other hand until the dolphins rise up and start making conscious decisions controlling our lives, there's really nothing to stop humans from slowly destroying the Earth.
    If I was in a burning building with a dog and a child I would try to save both, but if I knew it was impossible I would try to save the child. The reasons being that the dog was probably fixed to not have offspring and after it's life was over it's lineage wouldn't continue. The child is part of the future generation of my own species, which I am obviously more interconnected with than other animals, and it would be proper for me to try to save the child to preserve the future of my own species (as life history theory points out). Also, it's what other people would expect me to do, and not wanting to be shunned by society for saving a dog rather than a child, I would again be more interested in preserving the life of the child.

I would help myself first if I got trapped in a burning building with other living beings. I love myself most. But I will help them if I survive.

Corruption ends civilization and vice versa.

Michael Learns To Rock - Sleeping Child

I believe to love and be truly loved in return is the simplest way to give meaning to one's life.

yes

First of all, I would like to say that you seem to e a very philosophical person to look at things that way. Not a bad thing, though. You should message me sometime, maybe we can start a good philosophical conversation. I'm intrigued.

And in regards to the burning building, regardless of my own life I value all others first. That being said I would try with every inch of my soul to save both the dog and the child, regardless of my own personal risk. Each are creatures of earth and equally important. I have always believed that a dog, or any pet for that matter, can be an incredibly intelligent and fascinating creature in a psychological sense. I myself have seen great intellectual depth in my dog. My biggest example is that regardless of how my dog has been raised and what has been ingrained into her mind, she longs for independence and freedom, yet she is devoted so strongly to a select few people she would never leave. She deserves no less than any human I have ever met. She is no less predictable than myself. I don't believe that the dog should be ruled out just by means of cold 'logic'.
    Part of my own Radio Show/Podcast!
    Check out the Crusader's Talk, Advice and Banter Column - part of the Pregnant Stallion Radio podcast coalition!

Tune in for dramatic readings, music review, and talk show mishappery!
    Keep on keeping on folks!

- AnHonestGuy, aka SarfTheMagnifico