+ Reply to Thread

Default Conditioning for Parkour(Beginner)

I wanted to get into Parkour or free running(Mainly for the workout...but the fun factor counts also). Anyway I need ideas for workout routine I could do? I tried searching for some on the web...but nothing really came about. Any ideas what I can do?

broseph

The same thing all other athletes do first: build a big squat and deadlift.

Hit the treadmil and weights.
    Quote Originally Posted by dio1989 View Post
    Keep in mind that StevenNevets is a known troll on the boards

Quote Originally Posted by msgtTarver17 View Post
    I wanted to get into Parkour or free running(Mainly for the workout...but the fun factor counts also). Anyway I need ideas for workout routine I could do? I tried searching for some on the web...but nothing really came about. Any ideas what I can do?
    First of all I should point out that parkour is an extremely technical sport with a high degree of risk so you should join a local group where you can learn from more expereinced traceurs. That said you don't need lessons to learn how to roll.

As far as training for parkour goes you can achieve a high level of functional fitness with bodyweight training alone but you should also consider joining your local Crossfit gym as they specialize in functional fitness training, in fact searching their message boards should give you plenty of ideas for your own training. You should also borrow from the conditioning programs of elite gymnasts because they train almost exclusively with bodyweight exercises and rings and they often display incredible strength to weight ratios as a result of their training.

Parkour - Roll Tutorial.

Upperbody Conditioning for Parkour.

Lowerbody Conditioning for Parkour.

www.parkournorthamerica.com

www.americanparkour.com

www.naturalathletics.blogspot.com

www.crossfit.com

www.gymnasticbodies.com

www.ringtraining.com

Try getting into gymnastics and martial arts, as those may help.

Well, I would trying building your stamina, reflexes, and flexibility.

Stamina, obviously for the running. Being able to sprint a good distance while free running is crucial plus really helps if you are going to go with some more serious stuff.

Reflexes, well, I'd do gymnastics or a martial arts for it, it teaches you to react faster and raises your stamina overtime (if you don't laze about, that is). Reflexes will help react to the enviroment better, though this can also simply come from practice in simple enviroments at first then advancing.

And flexibility simply so that you won't strain your muscles. Stretch well and keep those muscles loose before each run and such and you shouldn't strain yourself.

Hope that helps a bit.

You may find this site useful:
    http://www.urbanfreeflow.com/